Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The yarn gods have frowned upon me

Yesterday, after work, I went home and started cooking dinner. Just after I put the chicken in the oven I get a text message from J. He says he's working on his sister's computer and he would be late. So after baking the chicken for a little while, I turned the heat back and tried to hold off for him to get home. In my waiting I watched yesterday's GH, Art Wolf's Beyond the Edge (or something like that), and most of an episode of What Not to Wear, I have TiVo so it didn't take the 2-and-a-half hours it sounds like. Well, half-way through BTE I had a brilliant idea, I should get out my knitting! So I got out the Back to School Vest, which I am now calling the "Doomed to be in School Forever" Vest, and started knitting on it. I got a couple of rows done then I noticed something. A twist. Then I investigated it to ensure that it really was a twist, which I then found it appeared to be twisted TWICE. FROG!  Then I got out my needles for the 5th and Final Stocking of the Stocking Project. I cast on the stitches intending to do Magic Loop, but for the life of me, I could not seem to get the first round started without an giant pull between the first and last stitches. I'm thinking of trying for the 2 circular method tonight.

In fact, that gives me an idea for a challenge. I am going to give myself 10 days to knit my stocking. I will cast on tonight, and challenge myself to have it completed by Midnight October 31.  All right. And in an effort to give myself something to blog about, I also challenge myself to update the blog every other day in the challenge.

Last nights dinner was awesome, regardless of my eating alone. I made Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Pesto/Lemon Pasta. Want the recipe? I'll share!! For the most part, I stink at posing food to make it all pretty, so no pictures.

Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Based on a recipe from America's Test Kitchen

Sauce Layer:
1/3 C. Mayo (seriously.)
1 t. or so Pesto (I use jarred pesto)
Lemon zest from half a small Lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl

Crust Layer:
1/2 C. Breadcrumbs
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese (I use a decent pre-grated)
Seasonings to taste (I use salt, pepper, and italian seasoning)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (a couple of tablespoons)

Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, and seasonings in a small bowl. Mix in olive oil until the crumbs have the consistency of crumbly damp sand.

Defrost 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts. Lay on baking pan, spread the Sauce Layer evenly over the chicken, then press the Crust Layer over the Sauce Layer.


Pesto/Lemon Pasta

1 box pasta of choice (I use penne)

1 T. or so Pesto
1 t. or so Olive Oil
Zest from half a lemon
2 T. Butter
Season to taste (I used salt and pepper)

In a small bowl mix the Pesto, olive oil, lemon zest, butter, and seasonings. (I started this when I put the chicken in the oven, so I put my bowl on the spot where the heat from the oven would melt the butter.)

Cook pasta per directions on package.

Drain pasta and put back into the pot, then toss in the pesto mixture. If I had extra Parmesan on hand I would have tossed in a quarter to a half cup of that too. But I didn't have it, so I skipped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment