Friday, October 24, 2008

Stocking Challenge- Day Three

Last night I upped my row count to 35, which is just about 6 inches of knitting. I'm planning another couple of inches on the leg before I start working on the heel. I'm going to measure my other two stockings tonight to make sure my stocking (did I mention, this last one is going to be mine?) isn't too much bigger than the others. I'm getting about 6 rows per inch, so at most, probably 12 rows before I start the heel! I should be starting that on Saturday easy! Unfortunately, my weekend is looking pretty full.

Tonight we've got the hockey game, it's the Detroit Red Wings vs. the Atlanta Thrashers. I think V. Kozlov still plays for them. He was one of the famed Russian 5- Red Army in the late '90's. I'll still wear my jersey though. I don't know why, I just have a thing for the smaller, skilled players who wear #13. I think my favorite Red Wing is Pavel Datsyuk, #13. he just does some amazing things on skates. (now, being a woman, I do have the player I think is the cutest, but that's someone else and a topic for another day.)

Saturday, the In-Laws are coming over. J and his Step-Dad (henceforth known as SD) are going to do some woodworking stuff. They're making some cabinet doors for J's late grandmothers home. I'm not sure if J's mom is coming over, or when, but my initial plan for Saturday was to roast a chicken (thanks Knittyboard for the idea!) and bake a loaf of sourdough bread. I told J to invite them for dinner, and all I have to do is through on some red potatoes for Smashed Potatoes (America's Test Kitchen Recipe, with my own twist) and make some frozen corn or peas. I went to Whole Foods and got the chicken on my lunch break. (thank goodness we don't have many people in my office and lots of room in the 'fridge) I figured if I am going to take the time to make something that we are going to eat for several days (and have stock out of the leftover bits) I might as well spend the money on good, humanely raised, no-antibiotics meat. My plan was to make the chicken, eat it for dinner, then bag up the leftovers for Chicken Salad and/or Chicken Pot Pie. Here, have my Chicken Salad recipe:

Mitten Chicken Salad (I just named it! ha!)

Cooked Chicken cut into chunks
Finely Chopped Celery
Finely Chopped Red Onion
Finely Chopped Garlic
Finely Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
Finely Chopped Dried Cherries
Dijon Mustard
Mayonnaise
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning

Mostly you just combine the items to taste. I typically use a lot of chicken, celery, walnuts, and cherries, and just enough mustard and mayo to hold the ingredients together, without measuring. I don't like mayo much. If I had to guess how much of each item, 1.5 to 2 cups chicken, 2 ribs celery and an equal amount of red onion, 1 clove of garlic, a couple handfuls of the nuts and cherries. Maybe a tablespoon at most of mustard and 1/4 to 1/3 cup mayo.


Nothing is really going on Sunday, just the usual grocery shopping, laundry, and cleaning that we do on the weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment