Monday, May 21, 2007

Best Baby Shower Ever

Seriously, if I ever have a baby, this is the kind of shower I want. Mind you, I only knew the guest-of-honor, and only because I work with her DH, and we have hung out as couples. Okay, so first off it was just a small “friends” shower because the Parents-to-be’s family live out of state. There were a total of 10 or 11 women there. It was really nice, very low key, no shower games. Well there was one game, but it was mostly for the mom-to-be to play. So here’s the outline.

Food:
Finger Foods: Asparagus (cooked but cold) wrapped in procuitto with balsamic vinegar, Spicy grilled Shrimp, Shrimp cocktail, and Deviled Eggs.
Lunch: Salmon, Spinach salad with strawberries, walnuts, and red onion, soda bread, roasted potatoes, tomato and mozzarella cheese plate, spiced carrots. Lunch was also a sit-down family style affair, instead of buffet.
Dessert: Chocolate cupcakes with a raspberry filling, cinnamon butter-cream frosting with a raspberry on top, chocolate covered strawberries, and sugar cookies.

All of the food was amazing, just wow.

The “game”:
One of the girls who coordinated the shower did a kind of newlywed’s type thing. They video taped the father-to-be answering questions, and she had to guess what his answers were going to be. It was the funniest damn thing ever. The guys on camera were totally hamming it up and definitely seemed to be enjoying it.

Gifts:
I was a little concerned because I was informed that several of the guests were also knitters. I was afraid of my little sweater looking armature and stupid. I made cute little tags with the wash instructions because I feel like the presentation is almost as important as the gift (of course this depends on the recipient. For my cousin (a man) I gave him a clock for a housewarming present in the Meijer bag I used to take it out of the store, that’s what he does to me anyway) Here is the gift I gave:

gift

I think I did pretty good with it. Here is a close up of one of the tags. The color is off, but you get the idea.

DSC00748

I just got some 8”x8” scrap book paper in a blue polka-dot and brown card stock, printed the message, then used an existing tag and exacto knife to cut it out. Then I cut a nice sized square of the card stock, a spot of glue by where the hole would be punched, and put it all together. I’m actually really proud of it.

The shower was really classy, elegant, and well done. I was super impressed and not the least bit disappointed that I missed going to Game 5 of the Wings/ Ducks series.

No comments:

Post a Comment