Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Soon to be WIP- Picovoli!

I tried to knit this last summer, but I had a really tough time with the provisional cast on, then joining to knit in the round. I decided that it would be a good idea to knit a few round flat, then join, which would keep my join from being twisted. It worked, but my gauge when knitting and purling was noticeably different from my gauge when knitting in the round. Well, today I was reading the knittyboard and someone suggested instead of a provisional cast on, casting on in waste yarn, knitting 3 or 4 rows, and then changing to the pattern yarn. When you are ready to add the edging or graft, you just cut the waste yarn and unravel until you get to the row of pattern yarn. Once I do it, I am totally going to post a tutorial, because I think it’s the best idea EVER. I think that when I finish the first row of pattern yarn, I am going to add a lifeline, to make the unraveling easier and lessen the likelihood of dropping any stitches. I really just want to go home and try it with some leftover wool. But I want to finish some projects. I have 3 on the needles right now. (I should update the side bar) They are:

1. Baby Boy hat in left over yarn from the BSoP.
2. Another Sheldon the Turtle (possible future baby gift)
3. Felted Fair Isle Box


The Baby Boy Hat is just a knockoff of the umbilical cord hat from Stitch and Bitch, I test knit Sheldon before the pattern was published in Knitty, and I absolutely loved it. The Fair Isle box is a practice piece for me. I’m using the construction from the French Market Bag to do the bottom, only I’m stopping increasing much sooner. Then I’m going to make up a fair isle motif involving palm trees. Why palm trees? I’ve decided since I am using the leftovers from my cousin’s French Market Bag, I am going to give this to her as a birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment