Monday, March 05, 2007

One Thousand Dollars Closer to the "Million Dollar Cat"

Or “Duke’s Vet Adventure, Part 2: The blockage”

Duke has crystals in his urine, which caused a blockage. Poor little guy has been on an IV and a catheter all weekend, since we took him to the vet’s office on Friday. Hopefully he will not re-block once they remove the catheter and he has to start going on his own. At the minimum he will be on prescription food for the rest of his life, and at worst, he is going to need surgery to shorten and widen his urethra.

Apparently this is quite common in male cats, and they are not 100% sure what the cause is. The leading belief is that it is linked to commercial cat foods. Of course, I thought I was choosing a good food - Nutro Complete Care. But apparently it was the wrong food for him.

I meant to do any update on Friday, including a finished project and some more yarn pictures, but Duke took precedence, and I really didn’t feel like messing with it when I was worried about him. Now for the grand un-veiling of my latest finished object:

The Unholy Combination Scarf-Hat- Complete

Here are the specs:

Pattern: Craftzine Podcast- Scarf-Hat

Yarn: Knit Picks Sierra (Pool) and Knit Picks Suri Dream (Twilight)

Needles: US 15 Boye Aluminum 29” Circular

Scarf width: 5 inches

Scarf length: 28 inches

Hood length: 12 inches

I took the pattern and modified it to fit my needs. My gauge was 3 sts to inch, not 1 ½ sts per inch, so I doubled the pattern. When it said cast on 10, I cast on 20, etc. Unfortunately, this pattern does not specify row gauge, so I pretty much had to make up the hood portion as I went. The scarf portion was knit in all stockinette, which is going to curl like crazy, so I used a 1x1 rib, which really adds weight and warmth. Instead of binding off the top and seaming it, I used the kitchener stitch to graft it together. All in all, I love my scarf, but I only used the pattern for the general shape. If anyone would like me to write up my changes as a pattern I would be more than happy to. I don’t know if my changes are enough to not be infringing on the copyright, but I will ensure that I reference the pattern if I do write it up.

There are a few things that I would do differently if I make another one. I would have modified the kitchener to match the garter stitch border, and I would have paid more attention to the number of rows between my increases and decreases on the hood.



Picture 088

Picture 089

Picture 087

1 comment:

  1. Poor Duke, the cats send their best wishes for a swift recovery.

    The scarf/hat/hood thing looks great, very cosy.

    ReplyDelete