Monday, February 19, 2007

Unraveling the Mystery of Cables

I know I haven’t been posting much, I’ve been busy looking for a new job. I’m all set up on a couple of sites, so now I just have to start checking them every couple of days and responding to ads.

The news of my life:

Work: To quote Office Space “…that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired.” That’s pretty much the mindset just about everyone here is in. And I can’t really say I blame them. Yes, we should be trying to go out on top, and we will. It’s just that there is not motivation when you know regardless of what you do at the end of this you still won’t have a job. It’s not a good situation to be in.



Knitting: The Scarf-Hat is still in progress. I have one side of the scarf done, and I’ve got about 16 inches of the second side done. I think I managed to knit a total of 6 rows on it this weekend, but I got a bunch done during lunch today. I just didn’t want to sit down with it for that long. There was too much other stuff to do.

Also, I decided to learn how to do cables this weekend. I knit up a quick 10 stitch swatch. 2 stitches of reverse stockinette with a 6 stitch cable up the middle. Total length by width was 4 inches by 2 inches. I only did 3 cable twists (I don’t know if that’s a real term or not- but it is now). The first one I did was holding the stitches to the front, the other two were held to the back. I actually learned a lot just by doing this little swatch. I’ve started getting more into the baby sweater I have planned from my friend at work, Skater-Guy and his wife. The design of the sweater is quite feminine, so I hope they have a little girl. If it’s a boy, I’ll have to do some work on the neckline. Also, I have to pick the yarn yet, I’m thinking Cascade Sierra, and since I have some left over from the other sweater I can sample the cables to make sure they work with the yarn. Otherwise I may go for some 100% Superwash Wool, maybe from KnitPicks. I’ll figure that part later.



Home: I love my new computer. It’s so totally awesome, and as usual when I get a new computer the first thing I do is get out an old video game- Zeus. It’s so completely awesome. I pretty much spent all of Friday evening playing it, and a good portion of Saturday evening as well. It was so bad that I could hear the music in my head when I tried to go to sleep on Sunday.

Speaking of sleep, I’m still not sleeping well at night. Of course, my sleep schedule is messed up because I don’t always go to sleep and wake up at the same time. Week nights I’m usually in bed between 10 and 11 pm, though sometimes if I’m really tired I’ll go to bed at 9:30 pm. On the weekends I usually stay up until at least midnight, and sleep in until 10 am. And then there is the stress from work, which keeps me awake with my mind racing. But this will pass, and things will be better for it, I just have to keep going.



P.S. Duke has cute toes.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on the cable swatch:) I just started with cables a few months ago and now I can't stop. Just finished a cabled baby sweater which you can see on my blog. This is my very first sweater too, so glad I made a tiny one :)

    ReplyDelete